Recipes of the month!
White Bean Soup with Pasta
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ cups frozen mirepoix (diced onion, celery and carrot)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1 28-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
2 cups low-sodium no-chicken broth or chicken broth
1 15-ounce can low-sodium cannellini beans, rinsed
8 ounces small whole-wheat pasta, such as elbows
1 ½ cups frozen cut-leaf spinach
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Put a large saucepan of water on to boil.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add mirepoix and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, crushed red pepper and ground pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and their juices, broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water for 1 minute less than the package directions. Drain.
Stir spinach into the soup. Stir in the pasta just before serving. Serve topped with Parmesan.
Flank Steak Marinade
- 1 1/2 tbsp.
grated orange zest plus 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp.
grated lime zest plus 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp.
- 1 1/2 tsp.
cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2- to 2-lb beef flank steak
Kosher salt and pepper
Orange-Spiked Chimichurri, for serving
Grilled Broccoli, for serving
- Step 1Combine all ingredients in a resealable plastic bag. Add steak, seal and turn to coat. Let sit at least 30 minutes or refrigerate up to 2 hours.
- Step 1Heat grill to medium-high. Remove steak from marinade, scraping off any large bits. Season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and grill, covered, 4 minutes.
- Step 2Turn and grill, covered, to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes more for medium-rare (135°F), depending on thickness. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with Orange-Spiked Chimichurri and Grilled Broccoli if desired.
Summer Farro Salad with Grilled Steak
- 1 c. farro
- 2 medium bell peppers
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless beef top loin steaks, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 c. corn
- 4 c. kale leaves, chopped with ribs removed
- 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- Step 1Heat grill on medium-high. Cook farro as label directs.
- Step 2Toss bell peppers, seeded and quartered, with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season boneless beef top loin steaks with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Grill steak and peppers, covered, 2 to 4 minutes per side or until steak is cooked to desired doneness and peppers are charred. Chop peppers.
- Step 3Toss farro with peppers, corn, kale leaves, balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoon olive oil and 3⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Thinly slice steak; serve over farro.
This refreshing dessert is easy and delicious to make!
Prep Time: 15 min
Chilling time: 20 min / batch
Makes 1/2 gallon
Calories: 1/2 cup 120 calories
- 8 cups seeded chopped watermelon
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, sugar and lemon juice. Chill for 30 minutes; place half in a blender. Blend until smooth; pour into a large bowl. Repeat with the other half; set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook and stir gelatin and water over low heat until gelatin dissolves. Add to watermelon mixture; mix well. Stir in the milk until well blended.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Serve immediately or freeze and allow to thaw before serving, about 20 minutes.
Out-of-this-World Corn Dip
- 3 (11 oz) cans MexiCorn (sweet corn & diced red and green peppers), drained
- 1 (7 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (6 oz)can chopped jalapeno peppers drained and liquid added to taste
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (16 ounce) package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 bags Fritos Scoops corn chips
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except chips.
Chill two hours to overnight. Serve with Frito Scoops corn chips.
Twenty Minute Easy Tortellini Bake
- 4 C tortellini (can be frozen or refrigerated)
- 1 1/2 C spaghetti sauce Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 to 1 1/2 C of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions, about 8-10 minutes.
- Toss with spaghetti sauce.
- Place in a 1 1/2 qt baking dish and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. During the last couple of minutes, turn on your broiler so the cheese gets slightly browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
3 Ingredient Baked Ravioli (A.K.A. Lazy Lasagna)
If you're looking for quick and easy dinner recipes the entire family will love, THIS is it! My kids love it. It's made with cheap and simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand: frozen ravioli, cheese and sauce. Simply layer everything together, and bake. It's comes out of the oven just like lasagna, but without all of the hassle.
- 1 (24oz) bag of frozen cheese ravioli
- 1 (24oz) jar of marinara or pasta sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella (heaping)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Spread a thin layer of your marinara sauce onto the bottom of the pan (about 3/4 cup).
- Arrange half of the frozen ravioli in a single layer over the sauce (should be about 12 of them).
- Top with half of the remaining sauce and half of the mozzarella.
- Repeat the layers starting with what's left of the ravioli. Finish by topping with the remaining sauce and cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan if you'd like.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown.
Serve with veggies, salad, garlic bread or anything else you'd like!